2 Kg Whole Duck
30ml Course Salt
1 Bay Leaf
1 Onion coarsely chopped
1 Leek Sliced
1 Carrot sliced
500ml Chicken Stock
1 Orange cut into wedges
65ml Bown Sugar
60ml Orange Marmalade
- Clean the duck well and place in a steamer with the water, coarse salt, peppercorns and bay leaf.
- Steam for about 20-30 minutes over medium heat until the duck is tender and done.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 220ºC.
- Place the onion, leek and carrot in an oven pan, and add the stock.
- Stuff the duck with the orange wedges and oven-roast the bird for about 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Carefully lift the duck out of the oven pan and set aside.
- Drain the vegetables and pour the pan juices into a saucepan
- Add the brandy, brown sugar and marmalade.
- Heat until the sugar has melted and then bring to the boil.
- Simmer until the sauce becomes syrupy
- Pour through a fine sieve and baste the duck with the sauce.
- Oven-roast for another 15 minutes until syrupy and brown.
- Serve with vegetables and rice.
- Serves 6.